Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Small Business & Entrepreneurship Personal Considerations (WEEK#2)

Personal Considerations: #3 Examination of Self

Over the past 25 years, I have worked for four employers. Prior to going into teaching as a full time instructor, I worked for a privately owned family business. This is where I gained a vast amount of knowledge of what it takes to run a business. Even though I have worked with some major corporations in my career with multi levels of management, the education with the family business was priceless.

I had several responsibilities as a sales and marketing manager but also learned very quickly that it was necessary to wear many hats. This position gave me an insight into what it would be like if I had my own business and I loved it. I think one of the biggest characteristics is personal self-motivation and drive. If your heart and desire is not in any job then you will be miserable. On important point to remember, not everyone is leadership material. Some people prefer to take direction instead of being the one handing it out. If someone is not able to deal with these types pressures then self-employment is not the answer.

I also think that entrepreneurs must be very flexible or versatile because of the every changing environment that exists in ownership. Each day can bring new opportunities or obstacles depending on how you look at the situation. I think you must be able to take risk but they need to be calculated risks. Sometimes it requires an individual to make decisions that involve some amount of uncertainty. Again, certain personalities can not deal with the unknown.   

 Scott Hutchins

No comments:

Post a Comment